[jadmin] Desktop Integration of IM/VoIP/VioIP
Stephan Hermann
2005-09-17 12:54:22 UTC
Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

I'm not quite sure, if this is the correct ML for this, but anyways.

Right now I was preparing a new goal for the next Ubuntu Release
regarding a better integration of IM/SIP/Mail etc. in the current
desktop systems like gnome or kde.

Well, today Robert McQueen showed me a really interessting project on
freedesktop.org (http://ipcf.freedesktop.org/wiki/)

As you can see from the diagram (Loading Image...)
the idea is to have a high level API for presence notification and
connection management for all apps which could use this feature (like
Mailclients e.g.)

What is disturbing, is the idea to support other non-standard protocols.

So my call is now to find people who are interessted in this and want to
work on this idea, to implement on the client side (speak presence
manager/connection manager) XMPP protocol, and on the server side (speak
transports) to implement high quality transports to other IM systems.

Finally, we have to convience the users of those propietary systems to
change to jabber/xmpp, but this is only a matter of good PR and
Marketing people ;)

There are some really good JEPs which need to be implemented or some new
ideas have to be created. A good point to start is e.g. SIP Signalling
with Jabber, as you all know, Google had this on their TODO listh.

Speaking of Linux/Unix, one good approach of implementing new things for
jabber clients is gajim (http://www.gajim.org/) it's written in Python
(PyGTK) and the developers are quite fast.

If you are interessted to join this adventure, please leave me a message
via mail or via jabber (xmpp://***@linux-server.org) or on
***@freenode.net (/join #ubuntu-im -> my nick is \sh)

If you are interessted to discuss this, e.g. regarding integration in
Ubuntu, please feel free to join UbuntuBelowZero
(http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBelowZero) in Montreal, Canada.
(What: Ubuntu Below Zero Where: Montreal, Canada When: Sunday 30 October
- Thursday 10 November 2005 (see below for details) Who: Open to the
Public)

I will prepare a conference spec, and we will have (I hope so) a BoF
about this project.

When you have other questions about this, please feel free to poke me,
via the contact details mentioned above.

Thanks and please excuse me, when this wasn't the right ML to raise this
issue :)

\sh

I'm not quite sure, if this is the correct ML for this, but anyways.
Maybe the jdev list would be better, but I have some doubts about that.
Maybe both lists are interested?
Post by Stephan Hermann
Right now I was preparing a new goal for the next Ubuntu Release
regarding a better integration of IM/SIP/Mail etc. in the current
desktop systems like gnome or kde.
Good plan.
As you can see from the diagram (http://robot101.net/files/tmp/IPCF.png)
the idea is to have a high level API for presence notification and
connection management for all apps which could use this feature (like
Mailclients e.g.)
What is disturbing, is the idea to support other non-standard protocols.
Yes, that is disturbing.
Post by Stephan Hermann
So my call is now to find people who are interessted in this and want to
work on this idea, to implement on the client side (speak presence
manager/connection manager) XMPP protocol, and on the server side (speak
transports) to implement high quality transports to other IM systems.
I think google should be a good partner in this.
Post by Stephan Hermann
Finally, we have to convience the users of those propietary systems to
change to jabber/xmpp, but this is only a matter of good PR and
Marketing people ;)
Yup, maybe hire microsoft to do that? :-D

<snip>
Post by Stephan Hermann
Speaking of Linux/Unix, one good approach of implementing new things for
jabber clients is gajim (http://www.gajim.org/) it's written in Python
(PyGTK) and the developers are quite fast.
I am looking for a wxpython based jabber client, but gajim is nice.
But after the 0.8.0 release it gets slower and slower. 0.8.2 has been
a bitch to me. I know, I should contact them.

<snip>
Post by Stephan Hermann
Thanks and please excuse me, when this wasn't the right ML to raise this
issue :)
Well, it sounds like a good initiative that should be supported.

Wijnand
Sander Devrieze
2005-09-18 22:28:34 UTC
Op zaterdag 17 september 2005 14:54, schreef Stephan Hermann:
<snip>
Post by Stephan Hermann
Well, today Robert McQueen showed me a really interessting project on
freedesktop.org (http://ipcf.freedesktop.org/wiki/)
As you can see from the diagram (http://robot101.net/files/tmp/IPCF.png)
the idea is to have a high level API for presence notification and
connection management for all apps which could use this feature (like
Mailclients e.g.)
What is disturbing, is the idea to support other non-standard protocols.
Indeed: you can point Robert McQueen to this post of mine:
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/jadmin/2005-May/021144.html (I did not
changed my thoughts since that post).
Post by Stephan Hermann
So my call is now to find people who are interessted in this and want to
work on this idea, to implement on the client side (speak presence
manager/connection manager) XMPP protocol, and on the server side (speak
transports) to implement high quality transports to other IM systems.
You should repost this on the py-transports mailing list ;-)
Post by Stephan Hermann
Finally, we have to convience the users of those propietary systems to
change to jabber/xmpp, but this is only a matter of good PR and
Marketing people ;)
That do not need to be the most important part. I think it is much better to
decrease the value of the proprietary networks by making the transports more
important.

<snip>
Post by Stephan Hermann
If you are interessted to join this adventure, please leave me a message
Why no MUC room? ;-)
Post by Stephan Hermann
If you are interessted to discuss this, e.g. regarding integration in
Ubuntu, please feel free to join UbuntuBelowZero
(http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBelowZero) in Montreal, Canada.
(What: Ubuntu Below Zero Where: Montreal, Canada When: Sunday 30 October
Some good things would be:
* To drop all support for proprietary protocols in a default Ubuntu
installation. E.g., when Gaim is included, move all protocol support to (a)
separate package(s) that are not installed by default.
* To run a Jabber server on one of the Ubuntu domains and make it very easy to
register.
* To use this Jabber server for a better community interaction: using
Publish-Subscribe to push news, different bots, forum integration, hosting
one or more MUC chatrooms about Ubuntu and make them accessible from the web
too (this should be possible in a safe way soon I guess :-) ), feedback bots,
Rosetta integration to translate using the Jabber client on your mobile
phone,...
--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.
xmpp:***@devrieze.dyndns.org

ejabberd, the expandable Jabber daemon. --
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/
Stephan Hermann
2005-09-23 19:09:22 UTC
Good Evening Gentlemen,

as I wrote in my last mail to this issue, we will present you this
specification, which we will discuss during the Ubuntu Conference in
Montreal, Canada:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUIM/DesktopIntegrationSIPIM

If you have any questions or objections, please send a mail or contact
me via xmpp://***@linux-server.org or via IRC (\***@freenode.net)

Regards,

\sh
Wijnand Wiersma

Wijnand
Sander Devrieze

http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/
Stephan Hermann

\sh
Wijnand Wiersma

Wijnand
Sander Devrieze

http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/
Stephan Hermann

\sh
Wijnand Wiersma

Wijnand
Sander Devrieze

http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/
Stephan Hermann

\sh
Stephan Hermann
2005-09-17 12:54:12 UTC

via mail or via jabber (xmpp://sh at linux-server.org) or on
IRC at freenode.net (/join #ubuntu-im -> my nick is \sh)

Wijnand
Sander Devrieze

xmpp:sander at devrieze.dyndns.org

ejabberd, the expandable Jabber daemon. --
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/
Stephan Hermann
2005-09-23 19:09:13 UTC
Good Evening Gentlemen,

as I wrote in my last mail to this issue, we will present you this
specification, which we will discuss during the Ubuntu Conference in
Montreal, Canada:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTUIM/DesktopIntegrationSIPIM

If you have any questions or objections, please send a mail or contact
me via xmpp://sh at linux-server.org or via IRC (\sh at freenode.net)

Regards,

\sh
Stephan Hermann

Wijnand
Sander Devrieze

xmpp:sander at devrieze.dyndns.org

ejabberd, the expandable Jabber daemon. --
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/
Stephan Hermann