[jadmin] (Newbie question) Can Jabber act as a gateway for HTTPS-based WebDAV?
Ajay Garg
2012-03-27 14:56:36 UTC
Hi all.

I am sorry if I might sound like a complete fool; but I have been lately
investigating the basics of WebDAV; and wonder that if the following
use-case is feasible at all ::

"There are two users Bob and Alice. Each of Bob and Alice have setup a
WebDAV server on their local machines over SSL, and listen on port 443. In
a normal environment, Bob is able to access Alice's share by typing
"https://<Alice's IP Address>/webdav". Alice is able to the same.

Next, both Alice and Bob log onto a Jabber server set up by their common
friend Tom; and the only way they can communicate is via Jabber. They still
want to make their shares available to each other; and wish for the
simplest way to do it - via their browser. So, can Tom configure his Jabber
server in a manner, so as to allow Bob and Alice to access each other's
WebDAV shares' via their respective browsers?"

Looking forward to a reply.

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Thanks Garrett for the reply.

But I am afraid it's gone over my head (I am sorry, I only understand
English).
What's "CDDC-esque"?

Regards,
Ajay
Ajay Garg
2012-03-28 06:18:26 UTC
Thanks Garrett for the link.

Well, that certainly is an option; but I am wishing something which has
already been tested in field.

I am thinking if the Jabber server could simply act as a gateway for HTTP
transfers between Alice and Bob.
I did some googling and found terms such as "Jabber HTTP Polling", "BOSH",
"XMPP over BOSH" (though I am afraid I haven't looked a bit in the details).

Could these come to the rescue? :)

Regards,
Ajay
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
that is why they are able to access each other's shares via the
browser.
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Regards,
Ajay
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Ajay Garg
via their respective browsers?"
Looking forward to a reply.
Thanks and Regards,
Ajay
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I'm on my phone, so sorry about the brief responses. It sounds like you're
looking for a solution in want of a problem, though. I can't think of a use
case where this would be necessary. So you're saying alice and bob have
inbound 443 or whatever blocked at their upstream, and you want to tunnel
webdav through jabber somehow? Or use the jabber server as an intermediary?
How would this work on the client side? So I log in with a webclient you're
developing and I'd see the other users' shared files? Or I'd use pidgin or
whatever and then use my browser to connect to some url on the jabber
server? I guess I don't really understand what you're trying to do
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
that is why they are able to access each other's shares via the
browser.
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Regards,
Ajay
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Ajay Garg
via their respective browsers?"
Looking forward to a reply.
Thanks and Regards,
Ajay
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Thanks Garrett, and sorry for me being unclear.

The use-case is as follows ::

a) Alice is running HTTPS-based WebDAV (listening on port 443), in the
context of "httpd".

b) Alice is also logged onto a Jabber Server (which may be configured if
desired, by Tom - the Jabber Admin).

c) Bob is also logged onto the same Jabber Server of step b).

d) Now, Bob is wanting to get a listing of Alice' shared WebDAV files,
through his (Mozilla/Chrome) browser.
(Note that when Alice was on the same network as Bob's, Bob could
access Alice's share by typing "https://<Alice's IP Address>/webdav" in
his
browser).

e) Once Bob is able to get a listing of Alice's shared WebDAV files
(through his browser), he also wants to be able to download the files.

So, yes, I am wanting to know how (if at all) steps d) and e) could be made
possible (with the Firefox/Chrome acting as the WebDAV Clients).

I am ok with any of the following scenarios (as long as steps d) and e) get
fulfilled) ::

(i) Jabber acts as a tunnel for WebDAV
(ii) Jabber acts as an intermediatery.

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Just do this on the client-side. Skip webdav entirely and just write
an
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
IRC CDDC-esque bot.
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
that is why they are able to access each other's shares via the
browser.
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Regards,
Ajay
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Garrett Kuchta
Post by Ajay Garg
Post by Ajay Garg
d) Now, Bob is wanting to get a listing of Alice' shared WebDAV files,
through his (Mozilla/Chrome) browser.
(Note that when Alice was on the same network as Bob's, Bob could
access Alice's share by typing "https://<Alice's IP Address>/webdav"
in his browser).
What you are looking for is a Proxy. A Forward Proxy to be precise.
It can be a simple HTTP Proxy. No need to get XMPP involved.

For example see:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html
"The forward proxy is activated using the ProxyRequests directive.
Because forward proxys allow clients to access arbitrary sites through
your server and to hide their true origin, it is essential that you
secure your server so that only authorized clients can access the proxy
before activating a forward proxy."
--
Tomasz Sterna
Instant Messaging Consultant : Open Source Developer