[jadmin] Seeking for XEP-0313-enabled software set, or alternative solution
Andrey Utkin
2013-05-21 19:10:57 UTC
I am not aware of such servers/clients to exist, and was unable to
find it. However, i am not too much involved into jabber development,
so i could miss something.
The target to solve is explained below (i posted this on juser
maillist http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/juser/2013-May/006962.html).

Having read a bit about priorities, i figured out that configuring it
thoroughly is not a solution for me.
I just want to have all my chat log available on any client i sit at.
I.e. i may have both home & work PC (or some more, i don't want to
care) online (or offline, i don't want to care), on any priority (i
don't want to care for auto-away and priority switching feature
support), i want to always have all chat history.
I have googled a bit, and found that there's a XEP implementing
server-side history saving, but none free services are known to
provide that feature, also status of this feature on client apps is
unknown.
I mentioned skype in subject because it provides chat log
synchronization between your app instances and your chatmates
instances. The only flaw is inability to sync when no chatmates or
your instances are online.
It is affordable for me to have my own always-online server set up and
tunneling all my jabber registrations on other open jabber services.
If the solution is not quite here, i am able to make up some code for it.

Andrey Utkin
Andrey Utkin
2013-05-21 19:26:32 UTC
Not sure I totally understand but, it sounds like you're concerned with
conversations not staying in sync for open sessions?
If this is a need, theres an easy solution.
MUCs should work without having to do anything.
For one-on-one chats sent to the user, just listen for the bareJid and
process the message in all clients
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0280.html. In the client youll need to listen
for messages that come from the users jid. Again, youll want to listen for
the bareJid.
I'm not sure i totally understand you too...
I'd like to find the solution in terms of existing software.
If it is not possible, i can afford making minor efforts in software
development.
But it is not probable that i'll go for implementing all the scheme in
new software.

P. S. Regarding your notes, you missed that clients which were _not_
open at initial message receival should also get it somehow and insert
into chat log.

Andrey Utkin
Andrey Utkin
2013-06-07 20:28:42 UTC
For curious readers, i'd like to report that i have ended up with
self-hosted jappix web client instance. It stores all chat history.
The only drawback is that i mustn't use any other clients to have full
history in single place.
I checked all major opensource linux clients, none of them supports
subj. I've posted feature request tickets for Pidgin and Psi.
I've tried imo.im, but it drops history on logout.
Also i know that some people run mcabber in screen on 24x7 server. I'm
ok with console but this seems not handy to me.
Andrey Utkin
Andrey Utkin
2013-06-09 20:40:08 UTC
Post by Andrey Utkin
For curious readers, i'd like to report that i have ended up with
self-hosted jappix web client instance. It stores all chat history.
It figured out to be not so. Jappix maintainer informed me that it
supports XEP-0136 archive management, which is deprecated in Prosody
jabber server which i have set up.

It might sound funny, but now i use mcabber in screen :)

--
Andrey Utkin