[jadmin] Jabber FreeBSD, SSL, etc.
Ian Cartwright
2004-07-09 15:47:19 UTC
Greetings all,

I have recently had the pleasure of compiling and installing Jabber on my
FreeBSD box. During this time, I have researched and accomplished the
following tasks:

Download, compile and install jabberd-1.4.2, aim-transport-0.9.25,
yahoo-transport-0.8-1.4-linux, msn-transport-1.1, and icq-transport-0.9 (via
the Ports system of FreeBSD modifying the master Makefile to compile
jabberd-1.4.2 instead of 1.4.1 and manually running "autgen.sh
i386-unknown-freebsd4.5" for aim-transport and then adding "-I
/usr/local/include/pth" to the Makefiles for aim-transport and
aim-transport/src).

I then went through jabber.xml file and set up services according to the
Jabber Server Howto, with the exception of using aim-transport instead of
icq-transport for ICQ services (as detailed elsewhere in this forum).

I generated my SSL key using two different sets of instructions (one fond in
this forum, another on snoogans.co.uk). Snoogan's instructions seemed more
complete, leaving me witha combined key/certificate file, with no
passphrase.

I have checked all the permissions to libraries, binaries, and data dirs,
and all seem correct, but I am having two issues:

If I try to run jabberd as user=jabber, I get a "Bus Error" message, when
using my config file. If I use the generic config file (everything set to
localhost, and no services defined) it runs ok. It also runs ok with my
config file if I run as root.

The other issue is with SSL. I get this in my debug output:

Mon Feb 11 14:41:27 2002 mio.c:620 mio while loop, working
Mon Feb 11 14:41:27 2002 mio.c:380 _mio_accept calling accept on fd #8
Mon Feb 11 14:41:27 2002 mio_ssl.c:234 NULL ctx found in SSL hash
Mon Feb 11 14:41:27 2002 mio.c:607 mio while loop top
Mon Feb 11 14:41:32 2002 mio.c:620 mio while loop, working
Mon Feb 11 14:41:32 2002 mio.c:380 _mio_accept calling accept on fd #8
Mon Feb 11 14:41:32 2002 mio_ssl.c:234 NULL ctx found in SSL hash
Mon Feb 11 14:41:32 2002 mio.c:607 mio while loop top

My previous research lead me to believe that this is either a problem with
jabbrd-1.4.1 and FreeBSD or with the SSL Key. I have (to the best of my
knowlege) avoided these issues by compiling jabberd-1.4.2 and using the
instructions for building a key.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ian
Chris Pile
2004-07-09 15:47:19 UTC
I've not actually tried the jabber code from the FreeBSD ports
collection, I prefer to download the code from the site or CVS. I've
installed all my jabber related stuff in "/usr/local/jabber" and chown'd
it by my jabber user. I run jabber using: "su jabber -c
'/usr/local/jabber/jabberd/jabberd -B'" via a stop/start script under
"/usr/local/etc/rc.d/".

I'm running msn-transport-1.2 and jabber-1.4.2 (both from the CVS).
jabber-1.4.2 works fine with SSL+FreeBSD as far as I can tell (I've been
running it for a month or two). You do need to compile with gmake
though.

It may be worth starting up a server with no transports, then adding one
at a time.

Have you definitely got the client SSL libraries (winjab/jim)? Also the
following command maybe useful when debugging SSL connections:

openssl s_client -connect localhost:5223 -debug -state

See if there is anything obvious in the output. It should at least
indicate if your SSL cert is accepted.

Thanks,
Chris.
Chris Pile
2004-07-09 15:47:20 UTC
I just tried this on another test server, I had exactly the same error
you had. After looking at my config, I noticed I had this:

<key ip='192.168.1.1'>./certs/key.pem</key>

Realised what was wrong, then changed it to:

<ssl>
<key ip="192.168.1.1">./certs/key.pem</key>
</ssl>

Quotes don't make a difference, but the <ssl/> tags do. Would be crazy
if we both made the same mistake, but the error I had was exactly the
same as yours.

This was using the jabber-1.4.2 tarball on FreeBSD.

Thanks,
Chris.
Chris Pile

Chris Pile

Chris Pile

Chris Pile

Chris Pile

Ian Cartwright
2004-07-09 15:47:21 UTC
Hi Chris,

It looks like the "null ctx" error messages are caused by an error
processing the SSL key and certificate at startup. You error was caused by
an error trying to process a file that wasn't there (mayber) and mine is
either the same cause or because my SSL key is not formed properly (I
think). Can you tell me the exact process you used to create your SSL key?
Or maybe create a sample for me and attach it? I would greatly appreciate
it...

Here is the very beginning of the debug output from jabber:

Tue Feb 12 15:39:28 2002 mio_ssl.c:55 MIO SSL init
Tue Feb 12 15:39:28 2002 mio_ssl.c:64 Handling configuration using: <ssl>
<key ip='192.168.0.100'>/usr/local/etc/jabber.pem</key>
</ssl>
Tue Feb 12 15:39:28 2002 mio_ssl.c:83 Handling: <key
ip='192.168.0.100'>/usr/local/etc/jabber.pem</key>
Tue Feb 12 15:39:28 2002 mio_ssl.c:98 Setting temporary RSA callback
Tue Feb 12 15:39:28 2002 mio_ssl.c:110 Loading SSL certificate
/usr/local/etc/jabber.pem for 192.168.0.100
Tue Feb 12 15:39:28 2002 mio_ssl.c:113 SSL Error using certificate file
Tue Feb 12 15:39:28 2002 mio.c:578 MIO is starting up

Here is the relevant part of my jabber.xml:

Post by Chris Pile
Post by Ian Cartwright
localhost, and no services defined) it runs ok. It also runs
ok with my
Post by Chris Pile
config file if I run as root.
Chris Pile

Ian Cartwright

Post by Chris Pile
Post by Ian Cartwright
localhost, and no services defined) it runs ok. It also runs
ok with my
Post by Chris Pile
config file if I run as root.
Chris Pile

Ian Cartwright

Post by Chris Pile
Post by Ian Cartwright
localhost, and no services defined) it runs ok. It also runs
ok with my
Post by Chris Pile
config file if I run as root.
Chris Pile

Ian Cartwright

Post by Chris Pile
Post by Ian Cartwright
localhost, and no services defined) it runs ok. It also runs
ok with my
Post by Chris Pile
config file if I run as root.
Ian Cartwright

Ian
Chris Pile

Ian Cartwright

Post by Chris Pile
Post by Ian Cartwright
localhost, and no services defined) it runs ok. It also runs
ok with my
Post by Chris Pile
config file if I run as root.
Ian Cartwright

Ian
Chris Pile

Ian Cartwright

Post by Chris Pile
Post by Ian Cartwright
localhost, and no services defined) it runs ok. It also runs
ok with my
Post by Chris Pile
config file if I run as root.