[jadmin] XMPP Server configuration: How to list Remote XMPP server configuration
Bhagavan Prasad
2012-09-17 10:39:25 UTC

Can somebody help me in building communication between XMPP Server to
Server communication.

- How to configure the local XMPP server to communicate Remote XMPP
Server? (s2s configuration)?

My investigations are like below. Please correct me if I am wrong
Is local server listening for connection from remote servers on port number
5269,
<router> ...., 5347 </router>
Is to connect to remote router, where it is capable to to build
communication between XMPP and non-XMPP clients
from s2s.log file, I observed that server is trying to build connection
with remote server local.domain.com/proxy.eu.jabber.org.
Question. From where the server got the above "proxy.eu.jabber.org"
string? I have searched all config (xml) files but I couldn't find. Every
I tried in the code, but no luck.
I also observed the server url, is being read from socket/file, and then
it is trying to build communcation.
Where to configure the Remote XMPP server address in Local XMPP server

regards
Bhagavan
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Bhagavan Prasad
Is local server listening for connection from remote servers on port
number 5269,
OK.
Post by Bhagavan Prasad
<router> ...., 5347 </router>
Is to connect to remote router, where it is capable to to build
communication between XMPP and non-XMPP clients
From the looks of it, you are using jabberd2.
'router' is your local jabber server component used to connect other
components (like c2s, s2s and sm) and exchange packets between them.
It's usually not world-accessible.
Post by Bhagavan Prasad
from s2s.log file, I observed that server is trying to build
connection with remote server local.domain.com/proxy.eu.jabber.org.
Question. From where the server got the above "proxy.eu.jabber.org"
string? I have searched all config (xml) files but I couldn't find.
Every I tried in the code, but no luck.
There was a packet originated in your server with destination
something at proxy.eu.jabber.org
Most probably someone added something at proxy.eu.jabber.org contact to
ones roster, so the server is sending presence request and/or probe to
this address.
Since you are not handling 'proxy.eu.jabber.org' domain inside your
local jabber server, these packets are pushed to s2s component to
handle, and s2s components tries to open server-to-server connection (on
port 5269) to server handling proxy.eu.jabber.org domain.
Post by Bhagavan Prasad
Where to configure the Remote XMPP server address in Local XMPP server
You do not.
It's remote server administrator job, to put proper SRV records in DNS
for the remote server name.
Your server then uses DNS to resolve the remote name, to find the remote
server to connect to.
--
Tomasz Sterna
Instant Messaging Consultant : Open Source Developer
http://tomasz.sterna.tv/ http://www.xiaoka.com/portfolio
Bhagavan Prasad
2012-09-17 11:56:57 UTC
Hi Thank you very much for quick reply.

In my case, even the remote XMPP server is also mine.

I have two XMPP servers in my setup. How to configure them to communicate
each other?

Which of my assumptions are correct?
Post by Bhagavan Prasad
XMPP server asks DNS server for SRV records with IP address
Q. If yes, how XMPP Server knows IP address of DNS server? Is it part of
s2s.xml file?
Post by Bhagavan Prasad
XMPP servers reads, systems DNS server configuration and tries to
communicates to server

regards
Bhagavan
Post by Bhagavan Prasad
Is local server listening for connection from remote servers on port
number 5269,
OK.
<router> ...., 5347 </router>
Is to connect to remote router, where it is capable to to build
communication between XMPP and non-XMPP clients
From the looks of it, you are using jabberd2.
Post by Bhagavan Prasad
XMPP server asks DNS server for SRV records with IP address Q. If
yes, how XMPP Server knows IP address of DNS server? Is it part of
s2s.xml file?
It uses standard system resolver.
Usually configured in /etc/resolv.conf on Linux systems.
Post by Bhagavan Prasad
XMPP servers reads, systems DNS server configuration and tries to
communicates to server
Yes.

jabberd2 is able to use /etc/hosts file too if you have one.
Bhagavan Prasad
2012-09-18 09:48:54 UTC
Hi Tomasz Stern,

I am sorry for my stupid questions. I forced to ask this because I still
could not resolve the issue with s2s communication.

My unerstanding is
Post by Tomasz Sterna
Any application refers /etc/hosts, or dns client when application needs
to resolve domain name with IP address.
Post by Tomasz Sterna
In this case, XMPP server resolves domain name (other XMPP server) when
he knows the domain name. How and who feeds to Local XMPP server about
another XMPP Server

By the way, I have added below entry to my /etc/hosts file
192.168.1.39 jabber.myserver.com

Can you please send me sample XMPP server config and /etc/hosts file, if
possible

regards
Bhagavan
Post by Tomasz Sterna
XMPP server asks DNS server for SRV records with IP address Q. If
yes, how XMPP Server knows IP address of DNS server? Is it part of
s2s.xml file?
It uses standard system resolver.
Usually configured in /etc/resolv.conf on Linux systems.
XMPP servers reads, systems DNS server configuration and tries to
communicates to server
Yes.
jabberd2 is able to use /etc/hosts file too if you have one.
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Any application refers /etc/hosts, or dns client when application
needs to resolve domain name with IP address.
More or less - yes.
How and who feeds to Local XMPP server about another XMPP Server
The users.
By sending message directed to user on another server
or simply by adding a user on another server to ones contact list
(roster).
By the way, I have added below entry to my /etc/hosts file
192.168.1.39 jabber.myserver.com
Now add the other server IP address to, so your local server could
resolve its name to IP.
Can you please send me sample XMPP server config and /etc/hosts file,
if possible
You should have sample installed in /etc/jabberd/s2s.xml.dist
If not, see:
https://github.com/Jabberd2/jabberd2/blob/master/etc/s2s.xml.dist.in